Ah! Mumbai :)



What can I say about this city that hasn’t already been said! 
Even after living here all my life, this city proves time and again why it has my heart, and it will forever. 

With time, this city has become difficult to live in, and I will openly accept that. The traffic is driving us nuts, the Mumbai rains are famous for helping us stop for one whole day, almost forcing us to rest it out. 
There are some things that still help us maintain our sanity. Do I need to remind you how beautiful marine drive is that night? And oh, don’t forget that chai we all drink listening to the sound of the waves, because that midnight tea is the best. It’s almost like the silence consumes you, and you feel alive all over again. 

Guess what, that’s not all. Today I heard the most incredible story in a very long time. Just makes me realise that hard work and good people can help change your life, irrespective of where you are. 

I took a rick back home from Bandra, around 7, so no prizes for guessing it was one long ride, and a cheerful driver to make it better. Mr. Thakur, my driver has been doing this job for 40 odd years now. He has 2 daughters who are teaches and one son who is an IPS officer and works with the government. Oh, not to forget, he got married and educated his wife too, and she is a teacher as well. He lives in a 2BHK and now works because his heart belongs within the city. He told me in hindi, "Everyone needs to get home at the end of the day, and I am here to do just that. I am old but fit enough to work. I start my day at 4pm and end it at 8pm. Home is something everyone wants to build, and home is beautiful. I want to help someone make that for themselves.”
OH MY GOD! who ever thought like that? I honestly thought the universe had stopped making such people anymore. 

As odd as it sounds, I almost teared up to this wonderful conversation with my rickshaw driver. Well at the end after he dropped me, he thanked me for listening to him. Lets just say we both got a smile on each other’s face. 

I bet we all have tough jobs\ lives and do a lot to make ends meet. Don’t give up easily though, you never know when it will all start working. Go build a beautiful home for yourself, because you need to go back there, find the love and the strength, because you need to make the magic work all over again the next morning. 
Oh also, don’t forget to thank your driver or give him\her that big toothy smile, you never know who’s heart you touch :) 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I don't want to move to America, so what?

Love in a South Indian household.

Going back home to yourself