A place I call home.



HELLO  HYDERABAD. 

My first ever flight to Hyderbad was a nightmare. I had a terrible anxiety attack and broke down, on that plane. It was a midnight flight, so luckily the lights went out, at least for a while. Within seconds the tears came rolling down and i couldn’t stop it. I didn’t know anyone. New job, new place, and I wound up there, all alone. It was minutes later that the lights came back on, and the flight attendant came up to me and asked me if I was ok, and if I needed anything. She insisted on a cup of tea, and I cannot be more grateful. That hot cup of tea, sure did some good. I managed to hold a breath and stopped sobbing. The tea felt more refreshing than ever and I started to feel my body calm down. 
As my flight landed, I said goodbye to the attendant with the broadest smile and wet eyes. She hugged me and said goodbye. I thought to myself, this could’ve been worst.

 As I got my baggage and left to go to my hotel, I happened to gaze at the sky through the window of my cab. Ever so calm and full of stars, it instantly got a smile on my face. Tears still rolled down my face, I think I was very overwhelmed by the silence around me. A close friend does stay there, and he was a call away. I just never mustered enough courage to give him a call. A while later I was all settled in my bed and couldn’t sleep much since I had an hour and a half before I had to wake up and head to work. 

The family I was shooting the next morning was nothing more than a delight. Can’t help but mention, their South Indian-ness and Carnatic music did make me feel a little at home. It was time for morning coffee and they insisted I had some with them.This followed through the day where I found myself enjoying the delicious food and their company. I felt a little welcomed into their family right at that point. This assignment came to and end and I went back home. 


My next trip, introduced me to a beautiful couple in love. I was more than delighted to shoot their wedding. Their honesty and humbleness with each other struck me the hardest. Even today, a year later, I feel like if I ever fall in love, I would consider myself lucky even if I was half as happy as they looked. Another family welcomed me into their homes and I felt the warmth in their heart. Even working on christmas day didn’t feel all that awful now. 


My third trip was the one that made me realise I love this city. I met a cab driver, who was learning english, so he could get a higher paying job to educate his daughter who he claimed to love the most. His kindness touched my heart in ways I didn’t imagine. The minute he established through our conversation I didn’t live in the city, he was more than excited to give me some inputs on the history of the city, places to eat and local shops to visit. At the end of that ride, he mentioned I was his happiest client that day.    

   (Well, I didn’t think I had the power in me at all to make someone feel good. At this point in my life, I felt lost. My depression was at the peak and I was afraid to feel the emotions I was feeling) 


What is it about this city that has completely swept me off my feet? 
Is it my new friends I made at the weddings I shot? Is it this old friend who made me feel at home with just a hug, his mere existence and electrifying charm? The beautiful old world ambience to the city? The delicious food in quaint cafes? The sky? Or just the simple people who never made me feel like I was new to the city.
I found comfort in strangers. Their stories were made of compassion, and a winter sky made this city oddly magical. 


Hyderbad, you taught me how to love. 

































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in a South Indian household.

I don't want to move to America, so what?

Going back home to yourself