I don't want to move to America, so what?




I apologise for the silence from my end. I know it's been a while.
But it's given me some times to think, and now I wonder. Does everybody judge everyone else's choices around them?

I have been asked this question a billion times so far, 'Are you not going to shift to America like your brother and find a well paying job?' 
 NO     

What is wrong with what I do now?

So last evening I bumped into an old aunty who used to live in the adjoining building to us.
She had only two question to ask me beyond the courteous how are you, 'What do you do apart from photography for work' I very hesitantly responded, 'That is what I do for a living, and I love my job', to which she checked me out head to toe like oh dear god, give this poor child some sense.
Her second question to me was 'Your brother is of marriageable age, so when will he get married?' To which I smiled and replied, 'Why does everyone get married?' She instantly crossed the street and said goodbye.

Now what do I make of this? That the only job a child of a South Indian household does is either technical or an IT job? Or the fact that our "PROGRESSIVE" society as we call it, has in fact not progressed at all.

Does only moving to America mean I have a good secure life? What's wrong with wanting to live here in Mumbai and do the same? Yes I invest, yes I buy groceries for the house, yes I buy my own clothes and make up or whatever other maintenance I have.

Why? don't they do the same there as well? Or does it mean that because people live there alone they are more independent and have a made a life for themselves. The only difference is I don't have my own tiny apartment here in a very expensive city like Mumbai. Is that why I haven't made it in life yet?

Well if yes, I'm sorry to have disappointed you random aunty. So far my parents are very happy with where I have gotten today. In fact, to your surprise, I also think they may feel proud.  I'm sorry I didn't make it big in your eyes, or is it probably because your vision is so narrow that I have no space to grow.

I am happy with my well paying job and my independent life in the city of Mumbai.










Comments

  1. Nice... Those aunties exists to add fun to our life .. just chill.. dil pe mat lena kabhi . Enjoy with it.. and heartly wishes for "being you"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice... Those aunties exists to add fun to our life .. just chill.. dil pe mat lena kabhi . Enjoy with it.. and heartly wishes for "being you"

    ReplyDelete
  3. "is it probably because your vision is so narrow that I have no space to grow"
    Damn. Love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayiee. I'm so happy you loved it. This piece came right from the heart. Thank you for taking time to read it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in a South Indian household.

Going back home to yourself